MozCon 2023: Part Two Recap – Unlocking the Future of Tomorrow
This year’s MozCon was all about exploring the future of search, and it was packed with knowledge bombs, expert talks, and groundbreaking ideas. Jimmy Chan, Account Manager at Location3, was on site for this premier event last month. So, if you missed out or just want a quick recap, here’s your chance to catch up on all the action:
Welcome back to the future! Day two of MozCon 2023 continued the excitement, featuring more captivating speakers and opportunities to gain invaluable insights into the ever-evolving world of digital marketing. As we delve into the highlights of day two, get ready to unlock the secrets of tomorrow’s marketing landscape.
Andi Jarvis – “Back to the Future: What Lessons From Marketing History Can Tell Us About the Future”
Day two kicked off with a thought-provoking session by Andi Jarvis, who took us on a journey through marketing history to reveal lessons that can shape the future of marketing. Andi’s engaging presentation emphasized the enduring importance of human-centric marketing.
- Human-Centric Marketing: Andi highlighted the central role of people in marketing. He stressed that successful marketing is ultimately about understanding and connecting with real individuals.
- Content Ideas from Customer Interactions: Andi encouraged marketers to draw content ideas from direct interactions with customers, emphasizing the user’s perspective over solely catering to search engines.
- The FAB Strategy: Andi introduced the FAB strategy (Features, Advantages, Benefits) and recommended flipping the order when creating content to lead with the most crucial messaging.
- Maintaining Brand Voice: Throughout his talk, Andi stressed the importance of maintaining a brand’s unique voice and tone in all communications.
- Andi’s session reminded attendees that, despite technological advancements, the heart of marketing remains deeply rooted in authentic human connections.
Dr. Pete Meyers – “Lower Your Shields: The Borg Are Here”
Dr. Pete Meyers, known for his insightful contributions to SEO, delivered a captivating talk on the future of SEO and AI, drawing parallels to the world of sci-fi.
- AI’s Disruptive Potential: Dr. Pete explored how AI is transforming search results and creating new opportunities for SEOs.
- AI Strengths and Weaknesses: While AI excels in unconventional areas and generates novel responses, it struggles with YMYL (Your Money or Your Life) searches and providing well-sourced and accurate information.
- Verification is Key: Dr. Pete emphasized the importance of verifying information and not blindly trusting AI-generated content, especially in critical contexts.
- Dr. Pete’s session shed light on the evolving landscape of SEO in an AI-driven world, where verification and human judgment remain essential.
Miracle Inameti-Archibong – “How to Use Brand SEO to Future-Proof Your Online Visibility”
Miracle Inameti-Archibong took the stage to share insights on using brand SEO to future-proof online visibility.
- Brand SEO in a Changing Landscape: Miracle emphasized the significance of brand SEO in a dynamic search environment.
- Challenges in Brand SEO: She discussed the challenges in brand SEO, including measurement difficulties and the need for collaboration between various teams.
- Quick-Fire Tips: Miracle provided quick-fire tips for an effective brand SEO strategy, such as optimizing the Knowledge panel and dominating brand SERPs.
- Trust and Authority: Building trust and authority through reviews, social strategies, and a consistent brand image was underscored as vital.
- Miracle’s talk underscored the importance of a strategic approach to brand SEO, especially in a rapidly evolving digital landscape.
Amanda Jordan – “Build Better Backlinks for Local Brands”
Amanda Jordan delved into the world of local SEO, offering valuable insights into building better backlinks for local brands.
- Categorizing Links: Amanda stressed the importance of categorizing links, including local links, topical links, citations, and more, to create a diversified backlink profile.
- Local and Topical Links: She highlighted the correlation between local and topical links and their impact on rankings for local businesses.
- Competitive Analysis: Amanda recommended conducting a competitive analysis to identify opportunities for gaining quality local-focused backlinks.
- Amanda’s session provided local SEO practitioners with actionable strategies for improving their backlink profiles and enhancing local search visibility.
Jason Dodge – “Rethink Your Industry Pages – They’re Not What You Think”
Jason Dodge, a community speaker, challenged traditional approaches to industry-specific pages and their optimization.
- Optimizing for Pain Points: Jason urged marketers to optimize industry pages based on customer pain points rather than generic industry keywords.
- Language and Industry Culture: He emphasized the importance of aligning content with customer language and industry culture to create relevance.
- Engaging with Customers: Jason encouraged SEOs to engage directly with potential customers to understand their challenges and pain points.
- Jason’s talk challenged conventional thinking and urged marketers to rethink their strategies for industry-specific pages.
Duane Brown – “Hiring the Perfect Agency: How to Avoid Getting Burned”
- Hiring for Success: Duane Brown kicked off the day with a talk that cut through the noise of agency selection. When you hire an agency, your ultimate goal is to make more money. It’s crucial to identify the precise areas where you need assistance, whether it’s in scaling, diversifying, optimizing your funnel, or ideation.
- DTC Brand Index: Duane shared a valuable resource, the DTC Brand Index, which provides insights into what your competitors are doing across various platforms like Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube. It’s a goldmine for understanding your brand’s performance on SERPs.
- Track Your Success: Duane’s emphasis on tracking success cannot be overstated. You can fine-tune your strategies and investments for optimal results by monitoring what’s working and what isn’t. Hiring the right agency becomes a more straightforward task when you know your goals and opportunities.
Carrie Rose – “Dominating TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Amazon SERPs as Consumer Behavior Changes”
- Beyond Google: Carrie Rose shared a powerful strategy for dominating SERPs on platforms beyond Google. Consumer behavior is evolving, and you need to meet your audience where they are.
- PR and Influencer Marketing: Carrie highlighted the role of PR and influencer marketing in driving traffic and gaining valuable backlinks. This approach not only boosts your brand’s visibility but also contributes to your SEO efforts.
- TikTok and Short-Form Content: Short-form video content is gaining traction, and Carrie offered tips for ranking on TikTok and integrating these videos into SERPs. Real-life experiences and word-of-mouth recommendations are highly trusted by users, making platforms like TikTok essential for brands.
Tom Anthony – “Entities Are the Past: Search Is Going Multidimensional”
- The Future of Search: Tom Anthony challenged the notion of entities and keywords as the foundation of search. He believes the future of search is multidimensional and context-driven.
- Latent Spaces: Tom introduced the concept of latent spaces, which play a critical role in understanding context. AI models like ChatGPT are revolutionizing search by understanding relationships and context.
- Predictions for Search: Tom offered predictions for the future of search, emphasizing the importance of context-rich text, inferring context and intent, and the continued significance of E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness).
Jes Scholz – “Mind the Gap: Bridging Generational Differences in SEO”
- Google’s Transformation: Jes Scholz delved into Google’s transformation from a mere search engine to an ecosystem of experiences. Google is no longer just about ranking URLs; it’s about building well-known, top-rated, and trusted brands.
- Building Brand Entities: Jes emphasized the shift towards building brand entities in the Knowledge Graph. Brands need over 30 meaningful touchpoints to become Google’s friend and secure their position in the graph.
- Three Steps for Brand Entity: Jes outlined three steps to establish a brand entity: defining a brand entity bio, using schema markup to reinforce brand attributes, and building more interactions with Google.
Aleyda Solis – “Drive Execution & Growth: SEO Audits in 2023… and Beyond”
- SEO Audits for Growth: Aleyda Solis delved into the importance of SEO audits in driving execution and growth. Audits are the core of SEO, but the challenge often lies in getting recommendations implemented.
- Seven Actionable Steps: Aleyda presented seven actionable steps to enhance your SEO auditing process. These steps include radical SEO audit prioritization, a focus on quick wins, setting an SEO quality framework, and more.
- Leveraging AI: Aleyda stressed the importance of leveraging AI and technology to accelerate SEO execution in bureaucratic scenarios. Communication, testing, and the use of AI tools are crucial for successful audits.
Wil Reynolds – “The Great Reset”
- Inflection Points in SEO: Wil Reynolds addressed the transformational periods in the SEO industry. Inflection points define SEO, and staying on top of them is essential for success.
- Content Saturation: Wil discussed the challenge of content saturation and the need to understand customers through data analysis. It’s crucial to adapt and embrace new possibilities through technology like ChatGPT.
- AI and Technology: Wil’s innovative use of AI, ChatGPT, and data analysis empowers marketers to overcome limitations and stay ahead of the curve.
In conclusion, MozCon 2023 day two was a treasure trove of insights that illuminated the path forward in the ever-evolving world of digital marketing. These sessions have armed marketers with fresh perspectives and actionable strategies to navigate the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. As the landscape continues to shift, staying updated is key to success. So, explore these topics further and keep your finger on the pulse of the digital marketing and SEO world.
Stay In Touch.
Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter.